Wednesday, December 19, 2012

"The Hobbit" a few thoughts


The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey


I was 19 the first time I read The Hobbit.   I became an instant fan.  Tolkien's humor, incomparable imagination and ability to transfer written word in to a reality that I could totally engage my loyality and devotion.  I loved the characters....good, bad and ugly, very ugly.  There were no subtle refrences to evil--it was clearly identified.  And the Good, well, it was noble and sincere completely admirable even tho each noble character had shortcomings, they were each totally believable, charming and heroic.  We all need a hero.  Tolkien gave us all of Middle Earth! By the time I was 20 I had read all of the Lord of the Rings saga...and each year afterwords, I re-read all three just for the sheer pleasure of enjoying the story all over again, that is what classic literature is meant to be....sheer enjoyment! I read LOTR every year in my 20s and 30s.  In my 40s I probably read it 5 times...in my late 40s I discovered the unabridged audio of LOTR and the Hobbit and wow!  I then began listening each year of my 50s....I have grown old and never tire of the reading or hearing of the story of Bilbo, Frodo, Gandalf, Aragorn, Sam and on and on....Technology finally made possible a movie rendition of the saga!!!  When I saw the very first trailer in the movie theater I could identify all the Fellowship and I knew these movies were going to be epic!  I was not disapointed in the least....in fact, Paul and I saw the first movie 20+ times in the $1 theater!
So, when we went to see the Hobbit yesterday, I sat back and just flat out enjoyed myself lost in the miracle of a fantasy turned into reality in the very best way!  Oh, this young Bilbo is so loveable and true to the book....I don't know if you are a fan or not, and maybe this rambling seems a bit over-board, but friends I just had to let you know, you should go see the movie, then read the book.
Thank you Peter Jackson.

Oh, we have also seen "Lincoln". an outstanding movie with a cast of wonderful, talented actors who all performed Oscar-worthy performances....do not miss this one.
And then there is Bond, James Bond....of course we have a loyalty to the brand...again, our youth is attached to Mr. Bond as sure as our attachment to the Beatles...a totally entertaining movie to see on the big screen for sure!
Tally ho ho ho for now,
Cathy

No comments:

Post a Comment